Bushcraft, the old-school skills of being outdoors using basic knowledge about fire-making, whittling your own tools, building your camp, reading nature and much more. Bushcrafting is a memorable way to experience the Swedish outdoors together with your family. Join us around the campfire, relax and learn the basics of making fire and using edge tools properly. This package gives you two nights' stay in Baggå skola B&B and a five-hour experience/course that takes place at Jonas Vildmark Bushcraft Center in Riddarhyttan, Sweden. This is a family-friendly adventure with cozy lodging as well as an opportunity to learn fire-lighting techniques and take home your self carved item from green wood.
About Jonas Vildmark & Baggå skola
Since 2009 Jonas Vildmark (Jonas Wilderness) has offered training, skills courses and events in the arts of Bushcraft and Survival. Jonas Landolsi has inspired many with his knowledge and experience of living in the wild. Together with his wife Therese, Jonas leads courses throughout Sweden focusing on basic outdoor skills like Woodcraft, Hunting and Forest Living.
Baggå skola was built in 1884 as a school house for the village children. Today it's a bustling farm-to-table café and rustic Bed & Breakfast operated by Swedish-American duo Amy & Tomas. Stay in their unique and charming rooms (with shared bath) in the heart of the Swedish countryside. Nature, wildlife and creativity meet on this lively organic farm.
Family Buschcraft schedule (changes may occur)
• Thursday afternoon/evening: Arrival & check in at Baggå skola
• Thursday evening: Hearty soup with homemade bread is served with a choice of beverages in cozy Baggå skola
• Friday 8.00-10.00: Buffet breakfast in Baggå skola café (homemade yoghurt, granola & bread, coffee, tea, juice)
• Friday 11.00: Arrival at Jonas Vildmark Bushcraft Center, Riddarhyttan
• Learn about the history and techniques of fire-making
• Friday 12.00-13.00 Lunch: Vegetarian burrito, homemade chocolate chip cookie & juice box
• Practice you fire making skills
• Learn about whittling and how to use a knife, an axe and a saw in an efficient and safe way
• Start creating your own item; perhaps a spoon or chop sticks carved from green wood
• Friday 16.00: We wrap up the day by looking at the different carved objects we've created. If you're not finished yet; no worries - you can continue carving at home.
• Friday Dinner: This one's up to you; check what's available at Baggå skola or ask us for suggestions in the region for other tasty options. (Why not join a moose safari in the evening where a meal is included?)
• Saturday 11.00 Baggå skola check out
Price (including VAT)
Adults 13 years and older : 1500 SEK per person
Children 6-12 years: 1200 SEK per person
Children 2-5 years: 900 SEK per person
Children 0-1 years: Free
The price includes
• A family-oriented Bushcraft course focusing on fire-making, edge tools and whittling, led by an experienced Instructor
• Rental tools for fire making and wood carving
• Carving material
• Fire material
• Two night's lodging at Baggå skola (sheets & towels included)
• Two buffet breakfasts at Baggå skola
• One two-course meal & one to-go meal, including beverages
Book your spot at Family Bushcraft by contacting Baggå skola; click HERE
We recommend that you bring warm and robust clothing and shoes for all kinds of weather. There is a distance of 15 km between your lodging in Baggå and the bushcraft activities in Riddarhyttan – we recommend a rental car or taxi. You'll find Taxi Skinnsberg by clicking HERE. f you wish to combine this activity with others in the area, check in with our partner WildSweden's schedules by clicking HERE.
Welcome to Bergslagen Sweden!